Monday, January 14, 2008

January 11, 2008 - Whangarei

Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to ascend Everest, known fondly as Sir Ed to New Zealanders, passed away this morning. Sir Ed is a living legend here. He is considered a hero and a humanitarian, in short, the kind of person that every Kiwi would aspire to be. For the past 15 years he has been the only living New Zealander whose image has graced his country's currency.
Flags are at half mast and the local news is showing documentaries and old interviews with Sir Ed. After a few hours of nonstop Sir Ed coverage, I was finally brought to tears by these lines from his autobiography:
“I discovered that even the mediocre can have adventures and even the fearful can achieve. I had the world beneath my clumsy boots and saw the red sun slip over the horizon after the dark Antarctic winter. But for me the most rewarding moments have not always been the great moments, for what can surpass a tear on your departure, joy on your return, and a trusting hand in yours?”
I love that.

No comments: