Wednesday, January 02, 2008

December 31, 2007 - Chicago

Mid-afternoon on New Years Eve, Deb (with whom we were staying), Sten and I headed over to Sam's Wine Warehouse to pick up a few last minute libations. We were not the only ones in Chicago with this thought - the place was hopping. In addition to a few bottles of bubbly, we grabbed a couple of bottles of Chinaco, our favorite tequila, to bring with us back to New Zealand. After Sam's, we picked up Mike, Deb's boyfriend, and headed over to a pizza joint in Bucktown, to lay down a solid base for the evenings festivities. The couple at the table next to us were having such a heated argument that we were afraid we were going to be wearing their pizza before it was all over.

For the main event, we headed over to Kate and PJ's house for a party. They laid out a great spread of food, but I quickly became obsessed with the guacamole. After I found out that Cuau had made it, I pestered him for all his secrets. It looks like I'm going to have to learn to work with tomatillos.

I was still recovering from too many margaritas the night before, so I volunteered to be the designated driver. After the festivities at Kate and PJ's house, the drive home was like playing dodgeball, as drunkards stumbled out in front of us at every turn. I swear, this driving stuff is much more dangerous than sailing.

No comments: