Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 18, 2010 - Newport-Bermuda Race Start

Crowds lining the hillside to watch the start of the Newport to Bermuda Race

Mata'irea's new home is a mooring in Newport Harbor. Because we are going to be living aboard and because we want to make it as easy as possible for family and friends to come out of the boat with us, we decided to buy a season's pass for the harbor taxi from Old Port Marine. A season pass entitles us to unlimited trips out to Mata'irea for us and our guests. The launch is much higher and drier than our dinghy so our gear will stay drier. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a summer without dinghy butt. And the best part is that we won't have to worry about where to leave the dinghy if we are going to be away from the boat overnight.

So first thing this morning we headed down to Old Port's office to buy our pass. At the office we found Meredith LeBlanc, who did the makeup for our wedding six years ago. We briefly caught up on some of the changes in our lives and I made plans to get myself up to her yoga classes at Soma Yoga on Pond Ave.

With our Old Port sticker in hand, Ingrid, Suzy and we drove out to Fort Adams where Mata'irea was still docked at Alofsin Pier. Once Suzy's friend Kathy arrived we shoved off and went to find Mata'irea's new mooring (it had been too foggy the morning before to look for it). Lyle (the mooring guy) had put orange floats and a pickup stick on the line so it was very easy to find and pick up.

Once safely tied up we had a chance to check out our new home. The mooring is in a central spot in the harbor with plenty of waterfront activity to watch. As I looked around I decided that my new floating home in Newport Harbor was in a very nice spot indeed. I think I'm going to like living here very much.

After a decadent lunch (catered by Suzy) we headed out to watch the start of the 47th Newport-Bermuda Race, which was an absolute spectacle. 183 yachts started the race in a series of starts spread out over 2 hours. There were at least as many boats in the spectator fleet. It seemed everyone in the area with a watercraft was out on the bay.

"I think they are going to beat me to Bermuda."

There were helicopters buzzing overhead and huge yachts coming off the starting line and flying past us with half the spectator fleet in hot pursuit. It was such a scene and an absolute blast.

Sten wanted to know why KP didn't have one of these when he was in school.

Sten and Ingrid's great-grandfather, Suzy's grandfather, competed in the first ever Bermuda race. It was great fun to come out and watch the start of the 47th race together.

We arrived home completely wiped out from the wind and noise and sleep deprivation only to find that we had missed the segment about us on the evening news. Artie from the station was kind enough to arrange a copy of it for us. Here it is, our 2 minutes and 1 second of fame:

Copyright WJAR NBC10

1 comment:

Marci and Joe said...

Not only an amazing writer, but a natural on camera!